Selous Game Reserve – Nyerere National Park
A newly established Park is part of what is known as Selous Game Reserve. Founded in 2019 and covers over 30,000 square kilometres, now the largest National Park in Africa. The park boasts Tanzania’s largest elephant population and a large number of lions, leopards, African hunting dogs, buffaloes, and hippos. Species commonly seen are bushbucks, red and blue duikers, elands, hartebeests, hyenas, giraffes, oryx, reedbucks, impalas, waterbucks and zebras.
The park has the most extensive diversity of safari activities ranging from Romantic Boat Safari along the Great Rufiji River, legendary fly camping trips, walking and compliment classic game driving in thriving wildlife areas.
Why Visit Selous:
- Wild Nature
- All the plain mammals of East Africa can be encountered
- Best chances of seeing a wild dog, but still no guarantee
- Closeness to nature, thanks to good walking facilities and boat trips
- The rough but exceptional beauty of the natural environment
- A feeling of solitude because of the small number of visitors
What to Do:
- Wildlife safaris
- Walking safaris
- Boat safaris and canoeing
- Bird watching
- Sport Fishing
- Camping safaris
- Scheduled and Charter flight
- Drive from Dar es Salaam
Best Time to Visit:
The best time to visit the Selous (for ease of game viewing) is during the dry season, between May and February.